Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cultural Arts Day

Bridge Creek Elementary School started a tradition when they first opened their doors with a Cultural Arts Day. Other schools I know have a field days activity the day before break for the spring. And I remember how much fun those days were when I was in school. I especially remember winning first place in the 50 yard dash back when I was in the 1st or 2nd grade. But if you're not going to have a field days, this is a great alternative. Last year I gave a presentation on the Mayan people and gave a sample of a common drink of the region. This year I stayed relatively quiet. I worked the beading station and got to see Clarissa. And then I moved over to the finger painting station with her. (There is a local artist that actually uses fingerpaint to create paintings worthy of an art gallery. It is amazing!) He came and talked to them about his art and then let them have fun. I didn't get to see Adam during his stations but we stopped and had lunch with him in his classroom and then went out with his class for recess. At the end of the day, the Carribean Cats steel drum band, that would be 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students of our school, played a recital. Before dismissal, some of the teachers got up and surprised the kids with a recital of their own. I actually got a little tearful because I looked up at that stage and thought, what a great school this is. I am really sad that we have to leave. There have been some really nice memories here. (Definitely enough to offset the horrid kindergarten teacher of last year : )

Posted by Picasa

No comments: