
I am trying really hard to stay positive about being in Waipahu and having the kids attend the school nearby. But I'll admit that I am finding it more and more difficult to mantain my cheerful disposition. Adam has found himself victimized by racism. He's already nervous about middle school because there is a group that will seek out and harm white kids. (We've reassured him that we won't allow him to go to such a school.) We also feel that the standards here are quite inferior to what we are used to. I don't understand their assesment method at all and doubt that they are truly being taught the essentials they need to succeed when we get back to the mainland. To make it worse Adam isn't keeping up with the work. His lack of motivation is hurting him in more ways than one and of course he doesn't want to listen to the advice his mom gives him. It can be very stressful if I think about it for too long. And so I try to look at the positive aspects of the school. There have been some really great community building fundraisers that we have all enjoyed. They kids participated in a Hurricane Run on the campus square. They were given 10-15 minutes to see how many laps they could run. Clarissa ran 7 laps and Adam ran 12. Even Molly got into the fun. There have been two family movie nights where they set up a projector on the square and we sat out with our lawn chairs and enjoyed a movie. They've shown Marmaduke and Toy Story 3. As part of the fundraiser they serve food and drinks to complete the experience : ) And just this past Friday we went to the Waikele Extravaganza carnival. There were several games with fun prizes, a bouncy house, more food and drinks, silent auction and rummage sale...the whole works. The kids had a lot of fun and I enjoyed watching them interact with some of the other kids they know. If I can just focus on the good things, right? That and knowing that Adam will most likely be participating in another schooling option next year because he can't afford to be lost when he gets back home.
No comments:
Post a Comment